Friday, October 1, 2010

Am I an adult yet?

Strange question.  I know. 

Growing up in my immigrant household, you were not considered an adult until you were married.  That was fine and dandy back in the old village where you were married by the age of 18 (if not, have the stigma of being an old maid) but I didn’t grow up in the old village.  I grew up in east L.A.  Horale!!!

I’ve struggled with my adult identity for years.  I remember being 12 years old and wishing I was 18, a legal adult.  When I finally reached 18, I still felt like a child.  I didn’t wake up that next morning after my birthday with an extra dose of knowledge or wisdom.  I was a child. My family was still supporting me, feeding me, clothing me. Sure at 21, I was supporting myself and living away from home but I still didn’t feel like an adult.  Why not?

Maybe it’s because I didn’t get married until I was 34 years old, finally “grown” in my parents eyes.  Or maybe it’s was just me… holding myself back, procrastinating, giving myself excuses to not feel completely “grown” with all it’s responsibilities.  Adulthood is a state of mind.  I’m not sure if I’m there yet.

2 Comments:

At October 3, 2010 at 2:17 PM , Blogger Kelly Loy Gilbert said...

Hi Tez, thanks so much for your comment! :) I'm so glad you said hi!

That's so exciting about your husband! I can completely relate (especially to the one-income bit. And being newly married). What kind of fiction does he write? Tell him to feel free to email me or something if he ever wants to connect with another writer--there are some online writers groups I know of (and am kind of involved in--though I've been slacking). I definitely know it can be so hard to find that sense of community when you're involved in such a solitary pursuit.

I struggle with the concept of 'adulthood,' too. So many people seem to define it by being a homeowner (I'm not one, but how exciting that you are!) or being married (which leaves out quite a few of the adults I know!) or kids (none yet), etc. Or jobs deemed worthy of 'adulthood.' It's weird, right?

But I'm with you-I don't know when I'll actually feel like a *real* adult. If ever.

 
At October 4, 2010 at 3:51 PM , Blogger Tez said...

Hi Kelly! Thank you for commenting and reading my blog. The hubby is writing a science fiction novel and I will let him know about reaching out to you. Thank you! You're so nice!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home