Tuesday, October 5, 2010

What am I?

I’ve always had identity issues.  It stems from being born in Cambodia to Chinese parents.  In Cambodia, we were classified as Chinese.  In the United States, we were classified as Cambodians.

Growing up, my parents taught us to identify ourselves as Chinese.  This was probably because while they were growing up in Cambodia, my parents experienced discrimination by the indigenous Cambodians and worst of all, by the Khmer Rouge.  But that wasn’t easy to do.  Cambodian/Khmer is my first language.  We ate Cambodian foods along with Chinese foods at home.  We speak a mixture of what my husband refers to as “Canto-bodian” (Cantonese and Cambodian.)  My Chinese friends don’t think I am Chinese and many Cambodians that I’ve met don’t think that I’m Cambodian either.  What am I?  I can’t say I’m one or the other, maybe both? 

At the age of 18, I became a naturalized American and last year, I married an Anglo-American (Norwegian/Russian.)  If we have kids, will I pass on my identity issues to our child?  Need to stop being so neurotic…

On another note, I realized I need to start adding pictures to my post but pictures of what?  Any suggestions?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home